Myth Busting: Carpet and Allergies
Fall has arrived here in the North Carolina mountains and my, oh my it is spectacular! However, the season changing also means that seasonal allergies are here. Today, CitruSolution is here to debunk a common myth ab0ut carpet and allergies. It is a common misconception that carpet can adversely impact allergy and asthma sufferers, when in fact the opposite is true! Not only does carpet add warmth and comfort to any room, but it also helps keep the air free of allergens and pollutants with proper cleaning. While it is a common belief that folks who have allergies should not have carpet, studies around the world have found that carpet actually decreases the number of harmful particles in the air by trapping them in its fibers! Properly cleaned carpet is a viable choice for families impacted by allergies and asthma, the only catch is you have to vacuum! Regular vacuuming removes the trapped particles from the fibers of the carpet. In the case of hard surface flooring such as tile or hardwood, the simple act of walking on the floors and sweeping causes allergens to be recirculated back into the room. In conclusion, properly cleaned carpet can lead to improved air quality and a healthier indoor environment.
Can Carpet Reduce Allergies?Regular vacuuming with an efficient vacuum cleaner locks pollutants in the machine and removes them from the air you breathe. Effectively cleaned carpet is the best way to combat allergies and raise indoor air quality. Here are 7 tips to help you vacuum effectively.
- Vacuum regularly and thoroughly. It is simply the best and easiest way to care for your carpet, with the added benefit of improving indoor air quality.
- Use slow, repetitive front-to-back motions in an overlapping sequence. A quick once-over doesn’t do much!
- Don’t ignore the corners or crevices where dust builds.
- Use the proper attachments to clean those difficult to reach areas.
- Clean from the top-down! Dust blinds, windowsills, and furniture surfaces first, then vacuum.
- Remember to empty vacuum canisters or change bags when they are half to two-thirds full.
- For best results, professionally deep clean your carpet every 12-18 months.